Monday, November 5, 2018

21 Day Devotional: How to Use this Devotional Guide


How to use this devotional guide:

Try to set aside at least 15 minutes per day, every day, for the next twenty-one days, while you are establishing a new you, making new habits, and developing your new walk with God.  You can definitely set aside more time, but you should not set aside any less than 15 minutes.

Have your Bible, a pen, a notebook, and some index cards handy.  Some people also use highlighters in their Bible.  Some people do not like to mark up their Bible.  I personally highlight and write notes in the margins.  I circle and I underline.  I also use post-it notes or sticky page tabs (found in the office supply section) to mark pages and passages of scriptures in my Bible.  It’s up to you, whatever you feel comfortable doing.  Some people have a desk or table they sit at.  It is best to have a place without distraction (if possible) and to turn off your TV, radio, computer, and cell phone.  Make this uninterrupted time with God.

At the end of each day’s devotion, you will be asked to read a chapter from the book of John.  There is also a place for you to write notes, and questions, and other scriptures that you might read that impact you or make you stop and think.  During this twenty-one days, you will read the entire book of John!  Just think, twenty-one days, 15 minutes a day, and you have read an entire book of the Bible.  That is an awesome accomplishment!

I have found that it helps me greatly to ask God to help me understand the Bible as I read it.  Depending on your Bible version, it’s not always easy to read and understand.  Before you start reading the chapter, pray this simple prayer.  “Heavenly Father, I thank you for your infallible, everlasting, true Word.  I ask you to open my eyes to see, my ears to hear, and my heart to understand this Word you have given to me.  Let me learn more about you.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen”.  I also find that I understand better, when I read the Word aloud (seeing and hearing it). 

The scripture references in this devotional are NKJV (New King James Version).  They are very similar to KJV (King James Version).  Your Bible might be a different translation.  That is OK.  We typically preach and teach from one of these two versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment